Saturday, January 5, 2019

Introduction - SomeblokecalledDave

You've probably arrived here because of my field setting images that you've found on the internet, if you have welcome. But, before we go any further I have to make it clear I'm not an expert at this, I'm not a professional in any way, I'm just really enthusiastic.

Jan 2020 - I've just been updating the blog and having a tidy up. A lot happened last summer, the club changed leagues; I injured my knee and hardly played after June and I changed my bowling, making the Flipper my main ball. Because of the injury it meant that I watched more games (My son Joe) than I played and I adapted the way that I produce the wagon-wheels seen on the blog here. The way the blog looks at the moment is a bit all over the place, but I reckon I've settled on an effective and consistent approach that I'll stick with now going forwards. The hope is I'll play a lot more this summer which means the diagrams will be basic as I'd have collated the records whilst playing.

I'm increasingly, I'm less inclined to produce the Photoshop versions because they take far too long to produce. This year with the intention of playing every single game, so the diagrams will be drawn whilst playing... at the end of my overs when walking down to fine leg if I'm bowling. Or, if someone else is bowling in between deliveries.

******
If you're looking in from another country (Most of the views are from the UK and India) the majority of the examples will be from playing teams in the south Essex region just outside London in England from either my old league SNEL or the new league TRMEL.

Currently I'm playing in the T-Rippon league in Essex, so most of the records will be from matches played at the locations below. Click on the map below to see the league website.



The intention is that this blog will be a resource for bowlers and captains in the T Rippon mid Essex cricket league. Each time I play against a side, I'll try to make notes and observations about the batsmen that I in particular have to bowl against for future reference in the same way that professional bowlers do. If I get time I may add other batsmen that I've observed in the field, generally though I'll try and get batsmen 1 - 5 recorded for each game throughout the season.
So, if you're a bowler that plays in the same league as me you might want to keep an eye on the blog and there may be some useful info and data.

It's important to have plans for batsmen that you come up against, watch the Shane Warne master-classes on Youtube, especially the SKY ones where he frequently talks about this aspect of the game. Recently, there's been a SKY master-class with Darren Gough and he too mentions the fact that he took his bowling extremely seriously, to the point where he made extensive notes on the batsmen he came up against in order that he could formulate a plan for the next confrontation. Ravi Ashwin over the summer test of 2018 with England, similarly, in a number of interviews for the BBC and SKY also mentioned that he also made extensive notes as a part of his reflective practice and planning for future confrontations.

Initially the main emphasis was to formulate plans for the batsman, but, I'm increasingly reluctant to do this as much and it takes a lot more time to draw up the plan. Initially I used to attempt to record the fields that were set on the day, but I've realised this is pretty much impossible as they're modified during the game. No doubt if I set anything different or note that my captain does anything specific for individuals I'll try and record that too.



Hopefully this year I'll stick to more manageable approach to recording the data. This here left will be the method of recording when I'm actually playing and then once I get home I'll produce a tidier version long-hand rather than using the ariel views of the grounds as I've done previously, that might allow far more time for analysis and to record batters right up to No.7?

The multi- colour versions seen towards the end of the 2019 season (see below) are only possible if I'm not playing. If I don't play rest assured this will be the approach that I'll use and I've been working incorporating more information. To be honest there's a part of me that's looking forward to the prospect of just sitting watching games, filling these in and videoing the wickets as in the example below (Double click on the image to see the video).







 
If you find the blog useful share it and keep checking back if you're a bowler in the same league.

21/1/20 

I'm still developing the On-field wagon wheel method and have been looking at Bill Frindall's technique and have adapted my method of making notes.



The key decision I've made is that I'm no longer going to record balls that don't result in runs as I have before. So, potentially that'll mean as I record the balls that do result in runs I can do as Frindall did and indicate who the bowler was and how many runs were made (B) using an initial. Along the top (A) is the legend where the initial will be recorded with the bowlers full initials or a shortened version of either of their christian or surnames. The other thing I'm interested in as a bowler are shot thats are played and missed, so (C) down the side indicated through the use of the dots P&M - play and misses. 

This'll mean that once back home I have the option to colour code the lines as Frindall did see here



When using the website always keep the following in mind...

Please note - You set these fields at your own risk. The owner of the blog is in no way responsible for you getting carted around the park for 4's and 6's. Seek professional advice and guidance if in doubt.


More content can be found at…

This is an example of some of the bowling vids on my Youtube channel


4 comments:

  1. Great to see you back on the web and setting up for another season in 2019, looking forward to reading more. All the best, Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Tony and Happy new year! Yeah I haven't done much recently, I was a bit disillusioned by the website experience, but felt that my main blog was far to wieldy and lacked focus. I then started another blog and one of the posts was about analysing batsmen and that post has gone ballistic absolutely 10's of thousands of view in less than a year, so I decided to create a blog dedicated this specifically and this is where it's at for the moment. Hopefully it'll build from here. Are you and Olly still playing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Dave. I came across your work in the early days 2008/09, and have recently taken up playing again after 9 years off and am catching up on your work i missed from 2010-2018. Your insights are fantastic and am loving the new analysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheer ChineseHerbfarmer: 2008, I'd only just started playing then! I've had a few years where I've been uncertain about my motivation. In part it's been partly a diary as I've always kept a diary of some sort. It's been a small record of my activities with my two sons. One's now at Uni and no longer plays, but the younger one Joe's nearly 18 and he still plays. All my energies are now focused on 3 main blogs, which are linked via this blog.

      Thanks for your feedback, glad you like it and keep coming back for more!

      Delete