Monday, July 6, 2020

South Woodham Ferrers cc - Batting wagon wheels

I've written this post up over a year later because of the Pandemic. One of the blokes at the club had got back to me in the comments and I've now got the names as I wasn't sure who was who...

What we do remember was that it was a good game and on a hot day. (26/6/19).

Jason McGarry_________________________________________
Opening bat. (RH)


McGarry carried his bat scoring 73 chasing and securing a win in what was a close match with the winning runs being made in the 39th of 40 overs. Tony Keep got us off to a good start with 9-3-16-1. 

Most of the runs have been scored in standard areas of the ground, so fielders in conventional positions should do the trick. Given that this wagon wheel does indicate a consistent range of shots it looks as though your best 2 fielders should be positioned at mid-off and extra cover with decent couple of players at deep mid-wicket and fine leg. I've got no records of how well he played with regards was he timing it well or whether there were any edges? The lack of runs made through slips suggests that he's been able to strike the ball clean. 

I can see from my bowling analysis that I didn't bowl well at all. But there's 2 fives in there, which I think possibly tells you something about the fielding! This is around the time when I changed my bowing and started to bowl Flippers because I was going for so many runs!



















I need to be fielding when I bowl!
I'm no captain, but I reckon if the team make-up was the same and McGarry was 'In' I'd try and keep him off strike and let him have one as much as possible and attack the other players and go about it that way. Then when he is on strike do the usual thing and play to his strength and offer him the shot through the covers perhaps and look to find the edge by bowling outside of off. If you're able to bowl leg-breaks you're going to have to use some of your guile. I seem to remember that he was pretty safe in his crease not moving out of it at all, so he's not easily drawn out for the stumping, so that's not an option. I reckon if you're bowling your leg-breaks half decent you'll cause him problems, target the stumps so that he has to play and mix it up between straight balls and your ball that turns and look for the edge. With no apparent cut shot he's going to either defend or try and hit it through the covers, both options bringing you into the game with the edge coming into play.

No.2 Steve Franics___________________________________




























No.3 Jeff Cox


























No.4 Chris Stevens







No comments:

Post a Comment